On November 15, 2022 the French Senate voted 295 – 1 to adopt a resolution supporting Armenia and proposing sanctions against Azerbaijan
On November 15, 2022 the French Senate voted 295 - 1 to adopt a resolution supporting Armenia and proposing sanctions against Azerbaijan, which, among other tasks, mentions the necessity to urgently protect the right of the deported population to return and the Armenian cultural and religious heritage.
Among other provisions, the resolution of the French Senate:
- demands the withdrawal of the armed forces of Azerbaijan and their allies from the sovereign territory of Armenia and the Lachin corridor, and to return to their original positions. Therefore, both security and an unchanged status should be ensured by the provisions of the tripartite agreement of November 9, 2020;
- calls on the authorities of Azerbaijan and all their partners in the region, especially Turkey, to respect the territorial integrity, sovereignty and independence of Armenia in accordance with their international obligations;
- calls for the release of all Armenian prisoners of war and their repatriation to their homeland;
- condemns Azerbaijan's violations of the “International Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination” of January 4, 1969 and calls on the Azerbaijani authorities to respect international agreements and conventions aimed at ensuring the security of the Armenian population and their rights;
- calls for respect for the right of the deported population to return, as well as the preservation of the Armenian cultural and religious heritage;
- calls on the Government to act decisively so that the UN Security Council appeals to the International Criminal Court regarding Azerbaijan's aggression on the sovereign territory of the Republic of Armenia, including the investigation of mass and war crimes;
- invites the government to establish a humanitarian office in Nagorno-Karabakh;
- reaffirms the need for the recognition of the Nagorno-Karabakh Republic in order to establish a lasting peace and turn this recognition into a negotiating tool;
- calls on the government to immediately take any initiative that will guarantee the security of the Armenian population and Armenia within its internationally recognized borders, and to this end request the deployment of an intermediate force under the auspices of the international community;
- calls on the government to make every effort to involve Azerbaijan through diplomatic channels in the negotiation process to achieve a stable peace in the South Caucasus.
News source: http://www.senat.fr/dossier-legislatif/ppr22-003.html.