St. Amenaprkich Church of Karmrakutch
The church is located in Karmrakutch village, at an elevated point (Fig. 1).
Tr Ամենափրկիչ 13
Fig. 1 The general view of the church from the southwest: photo from the Database of monuments of the MESCS.
Although Makar Barkhutaryants brings references on the church, the year of construction is missing. The dates of construction (1844) and renovation (1964) are engraved on the arch lock stone of the entrance facade (Fig. 2).
The church is a single-nave hall with a semi-cylindrical vault, an eastern semicircular altar and adjacent vestries. It is built of rough limestone and lime mortar. The cornerstones, windows and door sills are hewn. The dimensions of the monument are 12.8 m long and 7.4 m wide (Barkhutaryants 1895, 70).
The only entrance is from the southern side. The hall is illuminated through narrow windows from the eastern altar and the western facade and the opening of the belfry crowned with a six-column rotunda in the center of the vault (Fig. 3).
The church was restored in the 2000s and covered with tiles.
Fig. 2 The southern entrance of the church: photo from the Database of monuments of the MESCS.
Fig. 3 The interior of the church from the west: photo from the Database of monuments of the MESCS.
The condition before, during and after the war
Before the war the church was completely standing. No information is known about the monument either during or after the war.
The church is relatively newly built, which is why the primary sources are scarce. Our description is based on the data provided by Makar Barkhutaryants and the information handled by the monument certificate drawn up by the MESCS of the Artsakh Republic.
Fig. 4 The general view of the church from the northeast: photo from the Database of monuments of the MESCS.
- Barkhutaryants 1895 – Barkhutaryants M., Artsakh, Baku, Aror.
St. Amenaprkich Church of Karmrakotch